I am so excited for this weekend. RTX is always a blast and I can't wait to see and meet so many people. After attending the past few RTXs and multiple other con's I feel like I would share some tips, tricks, whatever you want to call it with you all!
1. If you are getting something signed think about how long the signature will last. Here are a list of things that don't sign well or will fade quickly: Badges, Phones, 3DS, controllers, anything with a shiny or black surface, your skin. Here are some things that do sign well: Fabric that wont be washed frequently (hats, bandanas, scarfs, etc), Paper Products (notebooks, Art), Game cover cases (take out the cover art and have that signed), Posters. If you want to make things easier, bring sharpies, not one but multiple, hopefully in multi colors. Black, Silver, and Red are the best. If you're having a poster sign, by a poster tube and bring that.
2. You (most likely) wont be able to do everything you want, even more so with a convention like RTX where the main topics is RoosterTeeth and so much of the con revolves around it. You wont get all the signatures you want and you wont get into every panel you want to see, BUT this doesn't mean you wont have a good time. Pick your top thing of the day and go to that, pick this on your own. If your friends want to join then great, if not go and have fun and make new friends.
3. DRINK WATER AND EAT! One of the things that happens at every con is skipping meals. Make a plan to eat. Have breakfast before you go, eat a local place for lunch, and if you want just get pizza for dinner. Eating and drinking will make your weekend so much better. Also if you go out to a bar to drink, drink water and be safe, don't ruin your event with a terrible hangover!
If you have a place that has a freezer, buy some bottled water (from a store or gas station) and freeze them. Keep them in a plastic bag inside your purse or backpack so you have cold water all day. The plastic bag will stop everything from getting wet, just be sure you seal it properly.
4. Texas is hot. Like really really really hot. Half a mile doesn't seem far on a map or on your phone but it is, and you will sweat a lot. Keep that in mind. Bring things to freshen up through out the day as needed. I like to have wet wipes, deodorant, a hairbrush/hair ties, and a body spray in my bag.
5. Sometimes service and wifi in the convention center is bad. If you are gonna meet up with someone have a backup plan besides texting. "If you don't hear from me, meet me [LOCATION] at [TIME]" It'll make things easier.
6. Keep in mind your party size. The larger the group the more frustrated you are gonna be. Let's be honest, people are complicated. If you are trying to find a place to eat you are gonna have a much better time finding a place to eat with 4 people rather than with 8. There is nothing wrong with splitting up for food and meeting up later.
7. Don't be a dick. Now most people reading this either A) aren't going to be or B) will read this and ignore it, but pay attention to how people around you are acting. Don't invite yourself to things, don't hold people up, don't get mad at staff/guardians no matter how unfair you think something is, and don't shout catchphrases, jokes, insults, etc at anyone. Lastly, NO MATTER HOW FUNNY YOU THINK IT IS, IF YOU ARE BEING AN "ASSHOLE" OR MAKING FUN OF SOMEONE YOU ARE NOT BEING FUNNY.
8. Take pictures. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures. Who cares how you look, in a few years when you want to look back at things you wont care, you'll want the memories. Try and forget your insecurities and take the photos you want to take. (camera held upwards facing down at a diagonal aka selfie pose is in fact the most flattering)
I hope anyone who is going to RTX has an amazing time and I hope I get to meet a lot of you!
If you all have any questions please feel free to leave them below and I'll try and answer them.
Hope you all have a lovely night. xoxo